shipping

USPS Shipping Calculator for 2013

on Jan 14th, 2013 | in Etsy Tips, Tools | 114 Comments

UPDATE: The USPS is again changing rates on January 26, 2014. I’ve posted the USPS Shipping Calculator for 2014 with the updated rates.

The U.S. Postal Service raised shipping rates on January 27, 2013. If you’re using USPS to ship your Etsy orders, you’ll need to update your shipping prices. This is no small task – fortunately, we’ve created a tool that can help decipher the complex USPS rate tables. The shipping calculator below will spit out the new rates you need to adjust your shipping tables and listings.

Before using the calculator, we should warn you that international rates have increased substantially! If you ship internationally, you may want to pour a stiff drink before crunching the numbers. Another important note is that Mexico is no longer included in the lower-priced Canada bucket for international flat rate items. Take a look at my domestic shipping article if you need a crash course in weighing and packaging.

The rates shown below are commercial base pricing – which you get if you order postage online with PayPal or other vendors. Be sure to check the prices against your vendor to make sure they’re using the commercial prices. Expect to pay more if you show up at the post office without postage. Pricing for flat rate items is included in the table below.

Important: Etsy mentioned in a blog post that they have commercial base pricing on all shipments except Media Mail. If you’re using Media Mail with Etsy’s Direct Checkout, use the USPS retail calculator instead.

USPS Shipping Calculator

53.95
Priority Mail International Large Flat Rate Box
(Other countries)
77.95
Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope 18.11
Express Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope 18.11

Disclaimer: This tool is intended to help Etsy sellers, but is unlikely to cover the needs of every shop and business owner. Please use the calculator as a tool in your tool box and not the sole source for your pricing decision. Shipping is complex and we hope to ease the pain a bit. Please keep in mind that extra services, insurance, etc. are not taken into account with this calculator.

Cover image by Jared Greeno on Flickr.

114 Responses

1. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

2. Audrey says:

Thanks for sharing this. Absolutely awesome! I sell on Etsy, Artfire, Zibbet and my own site and this is a great time saver.

3. Amanda says:

Well, nuts. I just realized that if you buy your shipping through Endicia, you’re gonna get hosed if you follow this calculator. Endicia’s prices are WAY more expensive than these. :/

• Brittany says:

Amanda – is Endicia showing the retail rates? I’m surprised they don’t offer commercial base. Let us know what you find out!

• Amanda says:

Yup, they’re showing the retail rates. Even though they’ve promised commercial base for First Class International! I’ve left a few tantrums for the support team in email form, so I guess we’ll just wait and see. Grr!

4. Kathy says:

OMG ! What a time saver. Thanks for sharing.

5. Aurie says:

Brittany I Love You!!! Thanks for sharing and saving me hours of updating:-) You’re the best!!!

6. Lisa Braun says:

Just had to tell you again… this is a LIFESAVER!!!! I was able to do all of my calculations with this.

THANK YOU!!!

7. Jamie says:

You are a rockstar for creating that calculator. I saved this post to my favs for future reference. I just wish I’d have seen this post before I went and looked everything up!

8. Liza D. says:

Nothing better than clear, concise, accurate instructions. Fantastic job, Brittany!

9. Kathy says:

Which international comes with online tracking numbers?
    Priority or Express? Thanks in advance! Kathy

10. Lee-ann says:

Thanks for sharing this- very helpful info!

11. Brenda says:

Thank you for posting this, such a timesaver!
    Brenda

12. Jen says:

Thank you for posting this—it delivers the pain quickly, at least. ;)

(It’s truly very helpful, and I appreciate it.)

13. Thank you so much for the postage calculator. That was very helpful.

14. Pam Whitlow says:

Thank you for sharing the postage calculator. Only thing was I didn’t see the pricing for the small flat rate priority mail box and from what I could ferret out on the USPS site is those are still $5.15 with commercial base pricing.

15. rebecca says:

Hi, just wanted to mention that I was confused because it looks like there are options for First Class international which are over 4lbs (goes up to 56oz) in fact you have to use Priority Mail for anything over 4lbs. THANK YOU so much for posting this.. It has saved me a bit of time! If only etsy were so helpful!!!

16. [...] – Shipping hike- Dana’s blog post (and the blog post she got her increase percentages from) – We’re going to MDSW! (May 4-5) We’re going on the Bliss [...]

17. My Chouchou says:

Brittany, Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a timesaver!

18. Laurie says:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! What a timesaver. I’ve had to pull down all of my international shipping options because I was so confused as to how to re-do all of my international shipping prices. This is making it a gazillion times easier to figure out. Thank you!!

19. Ruthie R. in Miami says:

Our local PO is refusing to take our commerical base pricing items because they say they don’t know what the rate should be so they can’t tell if we have the right $$$ on the item or not.

This happened about two years ago untill all the clerks were told to just take what we had and treat the item as already metered. But now they won’t do that. Even when we talked with the supervisor.

Has anyone else had this problem?

20. The rate calculator here differs from what Endicia is charging me for packages. For example, a 1 oz package to the UK is calculated on this site at 6.16, but it actually costs 6.55. your site says 12 oz to australia is 13.41, but endicia is charging me 14.90. just wanted to let you know so folks don’t complain about any unhappy surprises when they see rates are actually even more than they thought. according to a printout handed to me at the post office, there is no international parcel that will ever be under 6.55. that’s the base rate for all countries now up to 2 oz.

• Brittany says:

Susie – 6.55 is the minimum rate for First-Class Mail International (FCMI) when using the Retail rates; there is a Commercial Base price for FCMI that starts at 6.16. Etsy offers this commercial price for FCMI. PayPal offers the commercial price for Priority and Express Mail, but doesn’t offer FCMI. Endicia is charging Retail rates.

I added a note to the article about Endicia to warn others. In the interests of simplicity, we made the calculator based entirely on commercial base pricing, since this is most common for online vendors. Thanks for letting us know about another exception!

21. Hayden says:

Thank you SO much for this please keep this post up all year!

22. Milli says:

Wow, just.. WOW!!! I can’t thank you enough for what you did. All time added up you saved us probably weeks and weeks of time. I am eternally grateful!

Milli

23. [...] more info on how the price hikes may affect you, check out this nifty postage calculator: http://brittanysbest.com/2013/01/usps-shipping-calculator-for-2013/ Warmly, [...]

24. Lion says:

Hi,

Where can i download the source code for this calculator?

25. Fidela Tresori says:

I just compared the rates on this to the rates at the USPS website for a 1oz. package to Australia. Here I get $6.16 and there I get $6.55. :0/

• Brittany says:

Fidela – the USPS website quotes the retail price, this calculator is showing the commercial base price that sites like PayPal have negotiated with the USPS. So both are correct depending on how you’re buying your postage. Hope that clears things up!

26. Jody says:

WOW!
    I have an Etsy Site and the last several international packages I’ve sent have KILLED me! I thought I had suddenly lost the ability to accurately calculate shipping. Looks like I wasn’t the only one. :)

This is a HUGE life saver!

Endless thanks,
    Jody

27. Mac Balentine says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU. I’m calculating shipping prices through Paypal for my products for the first time and your chart has been such a huge timesaver.

28. […] Brittany’s Best Shipping Calculator: Unlike the USPS calculator, this uses the commercial rate that you would get if you purchase your shipping labels through Etsy. […]

29. Janine Burton says:

Hi All,

This is so exciting! This just may be the answer to my prayers! I just got off the phone with the local San Diego “Mail Requirements” department. They told me I don’t qualify for a business account with USPS because I don’t mail in bulk, so trying to figure out shipping with their retail calculator left me with First Class or Priority only. Since my garden art weighs usually 7 lbs or over, First Class is out, and Priority is WAY too expensive. I would then choose Standard Post, but USPS doesn’t let you print online for that option. I would have to take my big boxes to the post office to mail them if I wanted to use Standard Post. I am a new seller, only have been opened about a week. I have sold one thing, which was able to sent Priority because it was a small padded envelope. Now, I am looking at my estimates on Etsy for my heavier garden art and rethinking if they are even in the ballpark. BIG QUESTION – since this shipping calculator you’re offering (thanks so much!) offers Standard Post, is it also an option the Etsy offers once an item sells? Since I’ve only sold one thing and didn’t use Standard Post, I don’t know. Thanks again for all your help!

• Brittany says:

Thanks for the question, Janine! Your comment inspired me to update the shipping calculator to include Parcel Select, which is the “Standard Post” equivalent that Etsy, Paypal and other online vendors offer. As you mentioned, Standard Post is only available at USPS locations.

• Janine Burton says:

Hi Brittany,
        If that is an option, Parcel Select, I’d sure like to use it. However, after talking to that gal at the Post Office Main Requirements office today, she said Parcel Select is only available to business USPS accounts, which are only businesses that mail in bulk. Does Etsy (through PayPal) offer Parcel Select? If that’s the case, I would rather use that. Thanks for all your help!

• Janine Burton says:

Brittany,

One more question. My garden art has to be shipped in larger boxes, like 14 x 14 x 14, for instance. Does parcel select require dimensional weight as well as regular weight? That is what seems to push the price up when I search online on the USPS calculator. Thanks again!

• Brittany says:

Yep, Etsy and Paypal have negotiated with the USPS to offer Parcel Select without the bulk/business requirement.

• Janine Burton says:

Hi Brittney,
            Thanks for responding. In the meantime, I contacted Paypal to get more info as I couldn’t seem to find what Parcel Select would cost via USPS because it doesn’t come up in the regular postage calculator. Although it does come up in yours, I wasn’t sure if dimension weight (measuring LxWxH) was an issue. Just for interested I called Paypal to find out. They turned me onto http://www.paypal.com/shipnow, another paypal service where they make a comparison between USPS and UPS. There you can put in a bogus name and address and actually find out the cost paypal would charge. Parcel Select is still much more expensive than Standard Post, but you can still get it online. It’s still close if not the same as yours, but it verfied that although Parcel Select is now available, it’s pretty pricey for those of use mailing heavy items. Thanks for all the great communication and for your UBER COOL calculator!

30. Teresa Backer says:

I have been using your cal. since the first of the year I had a question about something today and came to if for the first time in a few weeks. Since it has changed I don’t find it as user friendly. I use to could put in country and weigt and get the different prices for different countries. It won’t let me do it now.

• Brittany says:

Hi Teresa, thanks for the feedback! Could you describe in more detail what you were able to do before? The calculator was updated to remove the old 2012 USPS price comparison since we’re well into 2013, but otherwise it should still work the same. I can select a shipping type and weight and change the country and the rate is updated.

31. Lynn says:

Hi Brittany!
    I have used your awesome calculator all year (thankyouthankyouthankyou!) Will you be making an updated one for 2014?
    I hope so, as I would be lost without you :P

Lynn
    TheAmethystDragonfly

32. very helpful and I’m bookmarking this too. thanks
    CheyAnne

33. Sally says:

Hi there Brittany,
    Do you have any equivalent suggestions or links for Etsy sellers in Australia? Shipping is so confusing!!
    Many thanks
    Sally :)

• Brittany says:

Sally, unfortunately, I don’t. I’ve heard that international sellers have the same confusion and hassle as US sellers when it comes to shipping. If I run across something that might be helpful, I will be sure to let you know.